Skip to main content

Assignment 1: Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

 

Subject: About myself

Dear Mr Professor Blackstone,

My name is Sarmila, and I am writing this email to introduce myself as being one of your students in effective communication class. I studied architecture in Nanyang polytechnic and did six months of internship at SAA Architects. Eagerness to learn more about the building sector made me choose Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services) Programme in SIT.


While choosing this programme, I set two goals in my mind to achieve within graduation. Merging my designing skills with engineering would help to advance my career and potential earnings. Thus, developing my technical knowledge would be my first goal. Given that networking is critical in the working world, my second goal is to refine my communication and writing skills to create a big network with the professionals in this field. That might give me chances of securing a job by connecting with people who would help me to make well-informed decisions about my career. 


My weakness would be the fear of presenting or expressing my opinions to a large group of people. It was challenging during the first few weeks of client meetings in the internship because I was shy and anxious. I hope I overcome it better through this class.


Alternatively, my strength would be working well in teams as I have a cheerful and outgoing personality. I like to take responsibility and work cooperatively with everyone towards common goals. I have showcased in many polytechnic projects that I am good at leading a team, and I have no fear of raising my opinions and supporting other's thoughts. Moreover, during internships, I led a team and was the project board manager in the interior-design compartment. This allowed me to work with people from different sectors, such as designers, engineers, and IT technicians.


 In short, being in this effective communication class will not only strengthen my writing and soft skills but would help to build confidence in me. The skills that I am taught here would be beneficial for my studies and career. I am looking forward to having a wonderful time in your class.

Best regards,

Sarmila Devi



(Revised)

Comments

  1. Thanks, Sarmila, for this 'lively' letter. I look forward to seeing the comments from your peer readers, and then I'll chime in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarmila,
      Both your content and organisation are generally good. But maybe you could also include include a point that explains what differentiate you from others.
      I also think that some choices of words used can be changed to make the sentence better.
      > I studied architecture in Nanyang Polytechnic
      > Merging my designing skills with engineering
      Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you professor and Thank you Izzati for commenting on the impovements I could make.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sharm,

    I enjoyed reading the contents of your letter, particularly enjoying the bit about networking.

    The organisation of your letter is good as well, with information being presented clearly and of ease to any would-be reader.

    Maybe I’m being particular, but I would consider “Eagerness to keep learning,“ with just “Eagerness to learn.”

    Then again, it could just be a matter of personal preference, let’s see what Prof Brad says 😅

    I enjoyed reading your letter and look forward to getting to know you more as a classmate! :)

    Sincerely,
    Angelo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Angelo, I will take your comment into consideration and make the changes :). Looking forward to getting to know you more too!
      ~sharm

      Delete
  3. Dear Sharmila,

    Thanks much for this clear, detailed letter. As your classmates have said, because you develop your ideas fairly well, this is an enjoyable read. I especially like learning about your work experience and the value you have for networking.

    In terms of language use, this is a good effort, but there are a few areas to take note of:

    1. Caps (see this website: https://wmich.edu/writing/rules/capitalization )

    2. punctuation
    -- In short, being in this effective communication class will not only strengthen my writing and soft skills but, would help to build confidence in me. > In short, being in this effective communication class will not only strengthen my writing and soft skills, but would help to build confidence in me.
    -- I am good with leading a team and, I have no fear of raising my opinions and supporting other's thoughts. > ?

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annotated Summary

Sanghvi,K. (2018). Drunk Driving Detection . h ttp://www.hrpub.org/download/20180730/CSIT2-13510632.pdf  In this article, Sanghvi (2018) researches on drunk driving, which is one of the prime causes to traffic accidents and proposed a variety of sensors that could easily detect and halt people from driving under the influence of alcohol. She mentions how drunk driving accidents are a common critical issue in third world countries and the use of breath monitor by traffic police does not spot all drunk cases. As an alternative, she states that an advanced essential method would be incorporating low-cost and high precise sensors in cars. If the sensors detect alcohol in the driver’s system, it could be programmed to slow down the vehicle speed, warn other people or ” notify the police through the internet”. In support, she presented few drunk detection systems that incorporated sensors such as air-pack, accelerometer, orientation and alcohol, with their advantages and limitations. The art

Critical Reflection

 In the beginning, when I walked into this module class, I had a mindset where I thought "how is it going to be different from the effective communication class I had in polytechnic and what more am I even going to learn from this class". However, the first week of class amazed me on the structure of the subjects and the classmates I had. The first goal I had was to expand my vocabulary and write professionally. I know I am a sociable person, but I am not able to put them in good sentence form when writing. Throughout this module, the rephrasing of the paragraphs to avoid plagiarism and commenting on other's writings helped me. I got to learn new methods of structuring my sentences and new words from others at the same time. Critiquing my classmate's writings made me realize the same mistakes I have been doing in my blog writings or report. As I started to critique others more, I was able to spot out my own mistakes in my writing and develop them. Thus, I believe that